ٷΰ
ٷΰ
ٷΰ
ϴ ٷΰ

ȨAbout SANGJUHistory of SANGJUJoseon Dynasty

Joseon Dynasty

  • History of SANGJU
  • The Gyeongsangdo Office (Gamyeong: ) was based in Gyeongju until the end of the Goryeo Dynasty, and was moved to Sangju-mok ( ) in the first year of the reign of King Taejo (1392), with 4 Gyeongsang governors (gamsa) holding office as Sangju-mok officials (moksa) until August in the 8 th year of Taejo's reign (1408).
  • Mok officials called Moksa ( ) were usually based in administrative districts called Ju ( ). While those ranked Jeong-3-pum were usually appointed, higher-ranking officials, such as Jeong 2-pum or Jong 2-pum, sometimes held office in Mok and were called Yeongmoksa ( ) and Panmoksa ( ), respectively.
  • - The highest-ranking local officer was Jong 2-pum Buyun on the same level as local governor (Gwanchalsa). Gwanchalsa often held the position of Buyun as well. Buyuns in the Joseon Dynasty were appointed in Pyeongyang, Hamheung, Uiju, Gwangju, and Gyeongju.
  • - The Daedoho Busa for military purposes were established in Andong, Gangreung, Yeongbyun, Changwon, and Yeongheung.
  • - Gwanchalsa, Jong 2-pum local governors, held administrative, judicial, and military powers, and during their tenure, performed duties of supervision on trips, in accordance with the Tour Governing System ( ). After Imjin Waeran in the mid-Joseon Dynasty, however, the system was changed to the Static Governing System ( ׺ ) and Gwanchalsa's tenure to 2 years. They had deputies called Dosa ( Դ ) or Pangwan ( ί ).
  • In the 13 th year of the reign of Taejong (1413), the entire country was divided into 8 provinces, Gyeonggido, Chungcheongdo, Jeollado, Gyeongsangdo, Gangwondo, Hwanghaedo, Hamgyeongdo, and Pyeongando, and kept local administrative systems in order.
  • - At the time, districts were reorganized among provinces and as a result, Cheongwon, Okcheon, Boeun, Yeongdong, and Hwanggan, which used to belong to the jurisdiction of Sangju, were transferred to Cheongcheongdo.
  • - In the early years of the Joseon Dynasty, the local administrative system followed that of the end of the Goryeo Dynasty, until King Taejong changed the names of provinces centering on Ju ( ) and established the 8-province system.
  • - Gyeongsangdo then under control of Sangju covered the area of the current Busan, Daegu, and Ulsan Metropolitan Cities and Gyeongsangnam-/bukdo, and was the largest by area according to the national local administrative system.
  • The 8-Province Local Administrative System & the Establishment of Gamyeong ( )

    Gyeonggido(Hanseong) Gangwondo(Wonju) Jeollado(Jeonju) Hwanghaedo(Haeju) Pyeongando(Pyeongyang) Hamgyeongdo(Hanheung or Yeongheung) Chungcheongdo(Chungju) Gyeongsangdo(Sangju)

  • With higher population and larger land area than other provinces, Gyeongsangdo was divided in the 7 th year of Taejong's reign (1407) into the West and the East, based on the Nakdong River; the former governed by Sangju Moksa and the latter by a governor who also held office as Gyeongju Buyun.
  • In the 3 rd year of Sejo's reign (1457), each province had a military organization called Jin ( ) and Sangju-mok was transformed into Jin soon after having Byungma Jeoldosa of Gyeongwoodo, who also held office as Moksa.
  • From July in the 30 th year of Sejong's reign (1448) to July in the second year of Danjong, 4 Gyeongsang governors held office in Sangju-mok for 6 years. In the 11 th year of Sejo's reign (1465), Dogwanchalchulcheoksa was renamed as Gwanchalsa, which continued to exist until the end of the dynasty.
  • In November in the 3 rd year of Yeonsangun's reign (1564), Lee Geuk-gun ( кг ) was reported to have submitted a map of Gyeongsangwoodo ( Գ ).
  • In the 14 th year of Jungjong's reign (1419), it was decided that excessive workload of the governor of Gyeongsangdo would be shared by Woodo governor ( Գ ) as Sangju Moksa and by the left governor ( Գ ) as Gyeongju Buyun, but the policy was soon withdrawn.
  • In the 25 th year of Seonjo's reign (1592), during Imjin waeran, roads were disconnected. Therefore, Gamyoungs were established in Gyeongju, the left province, and Sangju, the right province.

    In the 26 th year of the same reign (1593), the policy was withdrawn and a temporary Gamyeong was established in Chilgok-hyun (currently, Chilgok-gun), Seongju. In the 28 th year (1595), it was divided again into left and right provinces and Gamyeong was separated. The office was temporarily established in Dalseong-gun in the 29 th year (1596), was moved to Andong in 1599 (Seonjo's 32 rd - 33 rd year), and finally transferred to Daegu in 1601 (Seonjo's 34 th year)

  • In November, 1592, Gapangwan ( ʣί ) of Sangju, Jeong Gi-ryong took over the Sangju Fortress.
  • From the early to the mid-Joseon, for 201 years, Gyeongsang Gamyeong based in Sangju had to be transferred several times, during the 7-year Imjin waeran, because the government forces led by Lee Il ( ) was defeated in Bukcheon, in April 1592, by the Japanese troops on its aggression north, and subsequently Sangju Fortress surrendered; Shin Lib ( ) was also killed in a battle in Chungju and the entire traffic south from Seoul was left paralyzed. Sangju Gamyeong lost its position as Daegu Gamyeong took over and continued to exist until the end of the Korean Empire (1894).
  • In the 35 th year of Seonjo's reign (1602), Jeong Gyeong-se et al. established Jonaewon( ), the first-ever private medical center, in Yulri, Cheongri-myun, in order to put an end to epidemics prevailing after Imjin waeran.
  • In the 25 th year of Yeongjo's reign (1749), when Sangsanji ( ߣ ) was in the process of expansion, according to records, 31 Hyuns under control of Sangju-mok were as follows: (Naedong, Naeseo, Naenam, Naebuk, Jungbuk, Jungdong, Dandong, Danseo, Dannam, Danbuk, Oedong, Jangcheon, Cheongdong, Cheongnam, Gongdong, Gongseo, Gongnam, Modong, Moseo, Hwadong, Hwaseo, Hwabuk, Euncheok, Oeseo, Oebuk, Yeongsun, Sandong, Sanseo, Sannam, Sanbuk, Daepyeong)
  • In October of the 6 th year of Gojong's reign (1869), Moksa Nam Jeong-hak had to leave the office while restoring the destroyed Sangju Fortress after Imjin waeran (1592); in 1870, his successor Min Chi-seo restored four gates including the north gate; and in 1871, Moksa Jo Byung-ro continued its restoration.